Microsoft Announced that January 31, 2023 will be the last day that Windows 10 download is offered for sale.The Software giant will however continue to support Windows 10 with security updates until October 14 2025.
Tag: windows 10
Recycle Bin Pro-Tip!
How many time have you deleted something from the Recycle Bin and immediately regretted it,or wondered why you did not get a delete confirmation.
Well it would behoove you to perform the following steps to check whether the ‘delete confirmation‘ is turned on
- Right click on the Recycle Bin icon on Windows 10 desktop
- Select Properties and once the Recycle Bin Properties dialog opens
- Check the box next to Display delete confirmation dialog. Then click Apply and OK.
And just like that you are all set.
Patch Tuesday is Upon Us
Once again patch tuesday is upon Folks!!!
For those windows 10 at least we get :
KB4025342 (OS Build 15063.483)
The following are the fixes we get:
- Addressed issue introduced by KB4022716 where Internet Explorer 11 may close unexpectedly when you visit some websites.
- Addressed issue to improve MediaCreationTool.exe support for Setup Tourniquet scenarios.
- Addressed issue with CoreMessaging.dll that may cause 32-bit apps to crash on the 64-bit version of the Windows OS.
- Addressed an issue where Visual Studio or a WPF application may terminate unexpectedly (stops responding, followed by a crash) when running on a pen and/or touch enabled machine with Windows 10 Creators Update.
- Addressed issue that causes the system to crash when certain USB devices are unplugged while the system is asleep.
- Addressed issues with screen orientation that stops working after lid close and lid open transitions.
- Addressed issue that causes .jpx and .jbig2 images to stop rendering in PDF files.
- Addressed issue where users could not elevate to Administrator through the User Account Control (UAC) dialog when using a smart card.
- Addressed issue where input using the Korean handwriting feature dropped the last character of a word or moved it to the next line incorrectly.
- Addressed issue with a race condition between the App-V Catalog Manager and the Profile Roaming Service. A new registry key is available to control the waiting period for App-V Catalog Manager, which allows any third-party Profile Roaming Service to complete.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Windows Search, Windows kernel, Windows shell, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Virtualization, Datacenter Networking, Windows Server, Windows Storage and File Systems, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, ASP.NET, Microsoft PowerShell, and the .NET Framework.
Windows 10 s ? What is it exactly?
Microsoft 10 introduced Windows 10 s last Month,May 2 to be exact and this looks like its Microsoft fight to recapture what market share that Chrome Os has been biting away.
Windows 10 s is a light weight version of windows 10 tweaked to work with low cost laptop.
Key Points to understand:
- Understand that its not slated for individual sale but rather for Schools that are running education windows.
- Windows 10 S doesn’t cost a dime. Well, not to schools sporting Windows 10 Pro already.
- Windows 10 s can only support apps downloaded from Microsoft’s Windows Store and those already baked into the OS.
- Windows 10 S dont have the choice of which browser or search engine they use, with Edge and Bing being the only options you can use.
- Plus side to this is that Malware issues practically dissapear as well as OEMs wont load all the crapware that they bundle on regular laptops and desktops.
- Windows 10 S PCs, at prices starting at $189. Microsoft’s own flagship Windows 10 S device is the Surface Laptop starts at $999.
- Windows 10 S supports Windows Update for Business.
- Bitlocker is available on devices running Windows 10 s.
Will these be a Chromebook Killer? This remains to be seen.
How to solve Duplicate Files on PC’s
Duplicate files on a PC waste alot of precious space especially on SSD’s It can be quite the chore trying to clean up your PC by Hand.
Luck for you there are some Programs out there that will do the grunt work for you.This is especially useful when you have pictures and Music.
Programs Available For Windows PCs are:
- Duplicate File Finder-Free From Ashisoft
- Duplicate Cleaner-Not Free
- Dupe Guru-Free Barebones
- Search My Files-Free
Programs Available for Mac OS are:
- Gemini-USD 10.00
- Cisdem DuplicateFinder– Free Trial available or 29.99 Lifetime Licence
- Duplicate Detective-Free Trial or USD 4.99
Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update.
Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update Review Brought to you by Tom.
Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update – Hands on!
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607: September 29, 2016
Its Seems Microsoft has Blessed us with another Cumulative Update #Versions 1607 which brings the OS upto 14393.222.
This Particular update has a number of fixes including the Following :
- Improved reliability of the Windows Update Agent, shared drives, virtual private network (VPN), clustering, HTTP downloads, Internet Explorer 11, Hyper-V platform, multimedia playback, and Microsoft Edge.
- Improved performance of push and local notifications, Hyper-V platform, and some social media websites using Microsoft Edge.
- Addressed issue where mapping a drive from an elevated command prompt doesn’t work with administrator credentials.
- Addressed issue causing movies that were ripped using the transport stream (.ts) format to play without sound in Windows Media Player and the Xbox One Media Player app.
- Addressed issue causing the Movies & TV app on the Xbox to stop working when attempting to play content that was just purchased from the Store.
- Addressed issue where ActiveX can’t be installed when using the ActiveX Installer Service (AXIS) in Internet Explorer 11.
- Addressed issue causing “Print all linked documents” to not work in Internet Explorer 11.
- Improved reliability of downloading and updating games from the Store.
- Addressed issue preventing some users from changing the default download location in Windows 10 Mobile.
- Addressed issue causing unnecessary notifications about fixing Microsoft account in Windows 10 Mobile.
- Addressed additional issues with multimedia, Windows kernel, Windows shell, enterprise security, storage file system, Remote Desktop, core platform, Hyper-V platform, Windows Update for Business, display kernel, near field communication (NFC), input and composition, Bluetooth, Microsoft Lync 2010 compatibility, Windows Storage API, app registration, Trusted Platform Module, Group Policy, Internet Explorer 11, virtual private network (VPN), BitLocker, wireless networking, datacenter networking, Cortana, PowerShell, Active Directory, connection manager and data usage, Access Point Name (APN) database, Microsoft Edge, Windows Recovery Environment, file clustering, Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps, audio playback settings, DShow Bridge, app compatibility, licensing, cloud infrastructure, domain name system (DNS) server, network controller, USB barcode reader, and Adobe Flash Player.
Please comment if you have been able to install the update successfully and if not also let us know what issues you encountered.
WINDOWS 10 NEW TWIST!!!!
Microsoft now states that 6th Gen Sky lake Processors will only Support Win 10.Windows 7 and 8.1 won’t be updated to support future generations of processors.This Means that starting with Skylake you wont be able to install.This also affects Intel’s upcoming ‘Kaby Lake’ silicon, Qualcomm’s upcoming ‘8996’ silicon aka Snapdragon 820, and AMD’s upcoming ‘Bristol Ridge’ silicon.”In addition Microsoft announced today that after July 17, 2017, only the “most critical” security fixes will be released for those platforms and those fixes will only be made available if they don’t “risk the reliability or compatibility” of Windows 7 and 8.1 on other (non-Skylake) systems.
Microsoft’s Reason is well abit Vague;
At the same time, we know many of these customers continue to rely on Windows 7 for its well understood reliability and compatibility. Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed. For Windows 7 to run on any modern silicon, device drivers and firmware need to emulate Windows 7’s expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states—which is challenging for WiFi [sic], graphics, security, and more. As partners make customization’s to legacy device drivers, services, and firmware settings, customers are likely to see regressions with Windows 7 ongoing servicing.
According to Microsoft they announced,After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.
The window for compatibility, reliability, and security fixes has been extended by a year to July 17, 2018. The limitations on security fixes have also been removed; nowall security fixes will be made available—until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 and January 10, 2023 for Windows 8.1.